Majd Abdel Hamid is a visual artist from Palestine. born in Damascus (1988), and is currently based between Beirut and Ramallah. graduated from Malmö Art Academy, Sweden (2010) and attended the International Academy of Art in Palestine (2007-2009).
“Palestinian artist Majd Abdel Hamid works chiefly through the medium of small-scale, often abstract and colorful embroideries, employing simple, humble materials worked with great delicacy. As a self-taught embroiderer, Hamid’s works are the fruit of a slow, laborious act of making, conceived as “sculptures in time” rather than demonstrations of virtuosic skill.
The hand-stitched works are artisanal, even amateur in feel. Each is a record of its own imperfections, hesitations, and omissions that leaves visible the raw fabric of the support. The motifs – often unfinished – seem to derive from the history of modern art, from monochrome works to geometric abstraction and expressionism. Occasionally, figurative motifs evoke scenes from documentary news footage, or portraits – reconstituted stitch by stitch, as if pixelated. Majd Abdel Hamid’s work encompasses both radical abstraction and an activist political stance, and offers a profound, open-ended reflection on the artist’s role as a mediator of social issues, through a practice that is by turns compulsive, therapeutic, and resilient.”
text by Guillaume Désanges
“A Stitch in Times” Curated by Guillaume Désanges
The Fondation d’entreprise Hermès
La Verrière, Brussels, 2021
Selected group exhibitions include:
- “Dance of Life” gb agency. Paris/France (2022)
- “Beyond Borders”Gallery of Contemporary Art. Celje, Slovenia. (2022)
- “Répare, Reprise” Portes ouvertes sur l’art & Cité internationale des arts. Paris, France.(2021)
- “Heartbreak” Ruya Maps. Venice, Italy.(2019)
- touché! (gesture, movement, action), (2019) Beirut Art Center. Lebanon
- “Inhabiting the Mediterranean” (2018), Valencia Institute of Modern Art, Valencia, Spain.
- “DEBT” Qalandiya International (2018), Khalil Sakakini Cultural Center, Ramallah, Palestine
- “Unweaving Narratives”, Lecture performance “Rawabi Thob (traditional dress for a new city), The Palestinian Museum, Birzeit, Palestine (2018)
- “Labor of Love”, The Palestinian Museum, Birzeit, Palestine (2018)
- “In Search of the Miraculous, Kathmandu Triennial, Kathmandu, Nepal (2017)
- “Unraveled” Beirut Art Center, Beirut, Lebanon (2016)
- “VERNISSAGE Majd Abdel Hamdi and Oscar Guermouche” Krognoshuest Lund, Lund, Sweden (2016)
- “March Project” Sharjah Art Foundation, Sharjah, UAE (2015)
- “The Rhetoric From Within” Al-Ma’mal Foundation for Contemporary Art, Jerusalem, Palestine (2014)
- “Errors Allowed” Mediterranea 16, Ancona, Italy (2013)
- “Shubbak” – A window into contemporary Arab culture, Mosaic Rooms, London, United Kingdom (2013)
- “La Neumuller & Majd Abdel Hamid” Norrlandsoperan, Norrland, Sweden (2013)
- Qalanidya International/ YAYA, French Cultural Center, Ramallah, Palestine (2012)
- “De Ramallah et Gaza” Beaux-Arts de Toulouse, Toulouse, France (2011)
- “Escape” Lund Konsthall, Lund, Sweden (2011)
Abdel Hamid was a finalist in the Young Artist of the Year Award by A.M. Qattan Foundation in 2008, 2010 and 2012.
Abdel Hamid has participated in several international artists residencies and workshops, including The March Project, Sharjah Art Foundation (2015); “Former West,” Berlin, Germany (2013); “Truth is Concrete,” Graz, Austria (2012), and was an artist in residence at Cite Internationale Des Arts, Paris, France (2009).
Interviews/ and texts
Majd Abdel Hamid: ‘Nothing is more present today than violence’
Regional Conversations, series of online articles by Ruya Foundation